Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Assumptions and wordplay

It’s no secret that I am gay, I don’t think it is anyhow, and also most who know me know that I was involved with the ex-gay movement for quite a long time before I was able to reconcile my faith with my sexuality.  I am not saying that anyone who holds to the ex-gay school of thought is wrong, each person must live his/her own life.  I don’t have the right nor the obligation to judge anyone’s life or behavior, as long as you are not going around bringing harm to people that is.  I try very hard not to judge you, I may not hang out with you, but I will do my very best to not judge you.  Now I have said that to say this, I have heard various people within leadership of the ex-gay movement talk about self actualization, and being free to live your life gay if you want to, that they exist to help those who struggle with unwanted homosexuality, etc. etc.  But I have noticed from their writings those subtle little messages that they pass along to their readers either knowingly or unwittingly, but conveyed anyhow.  For instance whenever they refer to a church that is primarily made up of gay and lesbian Christians is seems to be the “gay” church.  Or when they talk about  those of us who have been able to reconcile our Christianity with being lesbian, gay, or bisexual then they throw out words and phrases like, compromising, watering down the bible, settling for less than God’s best and their are others.

Let me say this, I don’t believe that I have settled for anything less than God’s best overall in my life.  Yes there are times when I chose my own agenda over what I believe God would have me chose but I definitely don’t believe that is the case in my accepting being gay.  I wish that those in the ex-gay crowd would say what they really mean to say, and please don’t assume that you speak for all of Christianity, because you don’t.  My relationship with Christ is just as valid as yours is.  I will leave you today with the words of Chuck Smith, Jr.  whose father founded the Calvary Chapel movement,  “Although the bible may be the inspired and infallible word of God, our interpretations of it are not. 

Until next time, God bless.

 

David

No comments: