Saturday, June 6, 2009

Romans, Paul and Judging

I am setting here doing some reading and studying, on hell actually.  It’s something that’s been on my heart for awhile.  Don’t worry I am not that strange, I will post about it at a later time.  Anyhow I came across a few verses, that I have heard all my life and preached a few sermons on and some thoughts popped into my head that I wanted to share.

Romans 14:11-13

  For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 
  So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. 
  Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

especially verse 13- Let us not judge one another anymore,but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way.

  (I have inserted the Greek from Strong’s dictionary)

G2919
κρίνω
krinō
kree'-no
Properly to distinguish, that is, decide (mentally or judicially); by implication to try, condemn, punish: - avenge, conclude, condemn, damn, decree, determine, esteem, judge, go to (sue at the) law, ordain, call in question, sentence to, think.

How many have been driven away from God or kept away from Him because of the behavior and treatment that they have received at the hands of so called Christians.  The church, especially the Evangelical and the fundamentalist branches are full of judgments and condemnations of people and entire groups of people. 

The church has come along way in regards to it’s treatment of racial minorities and women, there’s still a lot to do, but progress has been made.  It’s now time for the church to stop being a stumbling block or a hindrance to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people from coming into the family of God. 

No comments: